Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Only Home


W2           

            Growing up my family was always moving. In fact I have never lived in one place longer then three years. Home for me is not a house or even a city. Home is the food my mother cooks and our family traditions.
            One dish really defines my family, and it is the only dish that my mother has never changed, snake meat. Now, snake meat, is not meat from a snake; it is simply beef, flank steak to be precise. The name "snake meat" came to be because I was a very picky eater when I was a child (fortunately I have grown out of that). My parents tried everything thing to get me to eat anything besides bread and cereal. They became so desperate that they began changing the names of recipes I had already tried and decided I didn't like, and since the flank steak came from the butcher shop tied in a sting, my mother told me it was snake meat. The second time around I laved snake meat. For the rest of my life every Monday we had snake meat. Every time my teachers asked what my favorite food was, I said snake meat, and since we moved many times I ended up telling many teachers I liked snake meat, and many times my mother would have to explain to child services what snake meat really is.
            The first thing I asked my mother when I moved into my first apartment was, "How do I make snake meat?" I was amazed at how simple snake meat is to cook.
            - 1 lbs Flank Steak (Snake Meat)
            - 3 tsb Ketchup
            - 3 tsb Soy sauce
            - 1 tsb oil
            - 1/2 tsp garlic salt
            Mix the four ingredients together. Evenly coat the meat with them in a broiling             pan. Let sit for an hour, and broil at 500 degrees 3 minutes per side. The inside             should be dark pink and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment